12 Signs of Illegal Debt Collection
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA) prohibit certain types of abusive and deceptive conduct by debt collectors.
Do you have a claim against a debt collector?
The answer could be YES if you:
- Are contacted by telephone before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m. local time.
- Receive communication after notifying the debt collector – in writing – that you do not wish to be contacted further, that you have engaged the services of an attorney or the collector has told you that the company intends to file a lawsuit against you.
- Are asked to pay fees, on top of the original debt amount, which you did not agree to pay with your creditor.
- Are told, or made to believe, that you are speaking with an attorney or law enforcement officer that is really a debt collector.
- Receive telephone calls or letters at your place of employment after having been advised that this is unacceptable or prohibited by the employer.
- Are threatened with arrest or legal action that is either not permitted or not actually contemplated – just to harass or annoy you.
- Are subject to abusive or profane language by debt collectors.
- Have your telephone ring repeatedly or continuously with intent to annoy, abuse, or harass any person at the called number.
- Have debt collectors communicate with third parties about your debt.
- Receive communication or further collection efforts after you have requested a validation of the debt from the collector.
- Have voicemails from debt collectors that fail to state that they are a debt collector (save these voicemails!).
- Are subjected to tactics meant to embarrass you – such as having letters addressed to you as a deadbeat.
You May Be Entitled To Compensation!
The FDCPA penalizes debt collectors for their violation up to $1,000, and in some cases you may be entitled to an award of actual damages. You can also collect attorneys’ fees and court costs. These laws give you the tools to fight back – and we’re here to help.
Ready to fight back? Contact our attorneys today at Florida Debt Fighters. If debt collectors are harassing you in the Tampa area or throughout Florida, we fight to make the calls stop once and for all.