Are You Being Harassed by West Asset Management?
West Asset Management
7171 Mercy Road
Omaha, NE 68106
West Asset Management, Inc., is part of a huge company called West Corporation, which is headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska, and has employees located throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America. The West Asset Management subsidiary has 15 domestic and offshore locations, according to its website.
West Asset Management provides “receivables management,” i.e., debt collection services, to a range of industries, including:
- Financial Services
- Higher Education
In March 2011, West Asset Management agreed to pay a civil penalty of $2.8 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that its aggressive collection techniques violated the FTC Act and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
The FTC said that, based on thousands of consumer complaints, it believed West Asset Management or its representatives:
- Called individual consumers multiple times each day, often regarding accounts that did not belong to them.
- Used rude and abusive language in phone calls to consumers.
- Illegally disclosed the existence of consumers’ debts to third parties.
- Ignored consumers’ written demands that West Asset Management stop calling them.
- Withdrew funds from consumers’ bank accounts or charged their credit cards without consent.
- Falsely claimed that consumers would be sued, arrested or have their property seized for nonpayment of debts.
- Falsely claimed that partial payments would be accepted as full settlement on accounts.
- Falsely claimed that negative information would stay on consumers’ credit reports until debts were paid.
The settlement order permanently prohibits West Asset Management from using false, deceptive or unfair debt collection tactics. Read more about the FTC settlement order.
Between July 2013 and July 2014, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau received 224 complaints about West Corporation*, an average of more than 17 complaints a month. Consumers alleged that West Corporation representatives had:
- Made frequent or repeated phone calls.
- Used obscene, profane or abusive language.
- Called after the consumer sent a cease-of-communications letter.
- Disclosed the existence of debt to third parties.
- Contacted the consumer’s employer after being asked not to.
- Continued to pursue debt the consumer did not owe.
- Attempted to collect the wrong amount of money.
- Threatened to have the consumer arrested or jailed.
- Impersonated an attorney or law enforcement official.
Let Us Protect You From Harassment by West Asset Management / West Corporation
If you believe debt collection tactics used against you by West Asset Management or West Corporation constitute harassment, please contact the Disparti Law Group’s Florida Debt Fighters today. We’ll meet with you at no charge to explain the legal options available to you, including the possibility of pursuing a harassment claim.
*Disparti Law Group provides no personal or legal opinion as to the validity of the complaints received by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The CFPB has authority over debt collection companies with more than $10 million in annual receipts.
Numbers Associated with West Asset Management:
209 – 209-870-3100
402 – 402-384-6687, 402-391-5285, 402-392-4625, 402-546-0631
585 – 585-786-4200
678 – 678-924-3336
702 – 702-304-1530
770 – 770-618-2200
800 – 800-397-7243, 800-841-9000
870 – 870-216-2886
888 – 888-433-2886, 888-517-7852
903 – 903-891-7100, 903-891-8545
The above list of phone numbers associated with the listed debt collection agency was created by using numerous online sources, including but not limited to the collection agency’s website and company-affiliated websites, Better Business Bureau, news sites and online consumer forums. The numbers are for informational purposes only and not intended to serve as a complete list of the agency’s phone numbers. The Disparti Law Group provides no personal or legal opinion concerning this debt collection agency. If you have a question about the sources used to compile this list of phone numbers, simply please us through our online form.